Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Cops and the Homeless, Part 2

For the past two nights, the cops came to the shelter long after the guests had gone to sleep. They were looking for two men who had robbed the same convenience store two nights in a row.

The first night, I was on duty when they tapped on the door at 3:30 a.m. I took them into the back room so we could talk without waking up the guests.

The second night, one of my colleagues was on duty and happened to be in the bathroom when the cops came knocking, this time at 4:00 a.m. When they didn't get an immediate answer, the cops pounded on the door, waking up every guest in the place. They also brought in dogs (to sniff for guns), which my bosses had previously told the police chief they did not want the cops doing.

Needless to say, my bosses at the shelter were none too happy over these latest police intrusions. So, first thing this morning, they gave the police chief an earful, and advised those of us on staff that under no circumstances are we to let the cops into the shelter in the middle of the night unless they produce an arrest warrant. We are to tell them nothing, nor are we to allow them to read the guest list or any other paperwork.

That's fine with me. I didn't mine cooperating with the cops the first few times they came to the shelter, but now I'm beginning to resent these routine intrusions.

There was absolutely no evidence that the guys who stuck up that store were staying at the shelter, as evidenced by the fact that the cops left empty-handed both times. They were on a fishing expedition, pure and simple. After all, who's going to stand up for a bunch of homeless bums?

My bosses, that's who; not to mention me and my colleagues!

No comments: